Friday, July 22, 2011

DJ Prostyle Nabs DJ of the Year at Latin Mix Awards



The 106 & Park DJ talks about the benefits of being a "one man show."

106 & Park's own DJ Prostyle walked away with the award for Latin Mixx DJ of the Year at the 6th annual Latin Mixx Conference, which took place on July 12-14 in New York City. The Queens-bred DJ of Dominican descent bested fellow turntablist DJ Camillo, DJ Cipha Sounds and other notables to win the honor.


"It's a great accomplishment for me. I've been back in NY for only over a year now and to have all the work I've been doing recognized by the people let's me know all the hard work pays off. It's truly of a blessing," the deejay tells BET.com about receiving the honor.


Prostyle, the DJ on the set of 106 & Park everyday, has kept himself busy by doubling as a radio personality at New York radio station Power 105.1 and Orlando's Power 95.3. Still, he credits the daily music countdown show for giving his career a big boost. “106 has been taking my career to the next level. It gave me exposure all across the country.”

Prostyle, who moved to Orlando, Florida, when he was 12, started DJing at his older sister's house parties. Ironically, it just happened for him. "One night the DJ left his equipment and told me I could play with it. Needless to say, I never went to sleep that night. The next day, I knew I wanted to be a DJ."


In this post-recession era, Prostyle is one DJ who has figured out how to keep himself viable. While some DJs just play records, Pro has learned the art of multi-tasking, turning himself into a one-man show. Chalk it up to Kid Capri, who Prostyle cites as an early inspiration. “A lot of DJs would DJ while someone else rocked the mic and crowd,” he explains. “He was the first I saw doing both himself.”


Now, as the recipient of the 2011 DJ of the Year Award, Prostyle is on to the next. “I never get comfortable were I’m at. There are endless opportunities out there for everyone, but you have to go and get it!”

Source Kim Osorio
Photo: Jason Merritt/Getty Images


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More