Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Josh Charles on Football, Salsa Dancing, and Courtroom Tactics



No matter what happens this season between Will and Alicia, the lawyers Josh Charles and Julianna Margulies play on The Good Wife (CBS, Sundays, 9 p.m. ET), Charles thinks their steamy liaison was fated. “It was risky, but it felt like a natural progression,” he says. “There’s a bond that will endure whatever journey we go on.”

The 40-year-old actor, who broke through in Dead Poets Society when he was a teen, tells Mary Margaret the one gig that could tempt him to change careers.

PARADE What have you learned about the legal field doing the show?
One lawyer told me that he never drinks water or eats in front of the jury because they can’t do either one. So as Will, I never do. It’s those little behavioral things, and always being aware that you’re being watched. In that way, lawyers are constantly performing.

Speaking of performing, you did stand-up comedy when you were 10. Do you still remember your act?
I don’t, but that’s not surprising since I don’t really remember what I did yesterday. My memory’s bad!

Would you ever do stand-up again?
No, I have too much -respect for comedians. It’s scary to get up there without someone else’s text, without a character that you’re playing, and have to be funny.

You visited the set of Diner as a boy and spoke to Kevin Bacon. What was that like?
It meant a great deal. It’s always special when you’re young and you have a vision for something you want to do, and somebody takes a moment to connect with you. Now if there are kids on the set I try to talk to them for a bit.

On Twitter you’ve described yourself as an actor, an Albert Brooks fan, and a salsa dancer. Can we get some details on the dancing?
Salsa dancer was sort of a joke. Although I did do a movie years ago where I had to salsa, and when I lived in California, I would go to a place called El Floridita a lot to dance. I’m not particularly good, but I aspire to be. It’s a lot of fun, and I love that kind of music.

You live in New York, but you’re from Baltimore. Are you a big Ravens football fan?
I’m fanatical. I go home for a lot of games, especially if I don’t have an early call on Monday. A few years back, I got to do sideline reporting for a Baltimore radio station, and that was heaven. I thought, “I could quit acting and just do that.”

Any game-day rituals?
I have a whole system in place: I lay out all of my Ravens gear—my hats, my helmets, my Snuggie. I actually have a full uniform that the team sent me for a bit I did on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. And I put my Ed Reed bobblehead on the credenza in front of the TV. If you come over to watch the game, you have to pat his head.

Besides sports, how do you unwind on Sundays?
The first thing I do is make a nice cup of coffee and put on some music, maybe classical. Then it just depends on the time of year. If the weather’s nice, I like to be outside exercising, but when it’s colder, I’m a real homebody and I catch up on my reading.

Your girlfriend is an artist, and you sat for one of her paintings. Do you paint as well?
I don’t, and I guess I’m not a good subject, either. She said I kept moving.

Source:  Parade


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More