Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Interview: Nostalgic Ximena Navarrete reflects on Miss Universe, passing on the crown


On September 12th, Ximena Navarrete returns to the catwalk on which she walked a year and a month ago in Las Vegas, overwhelmed with excitement and nervousness, when she was crowned Miss Universe.

Nevertheless, this night in Sao Paulo, Brazil, marks a farewell to her yearlong reign, as she says goodbye to her daily work in Donald Trump's organization. The second Mexican Miss Universe knows that, at that moment in which she removes her crown, she will be overcome by emotions.

From Mexico City, where she travelled to sign a very important contract and formed part of the Nuestra Belleza 2011 electorate, Navarrete spoke exclusively to AOL Latino about her future projects, what should change after winning the coveted title, and who would be the happiest person upon the conclusion of her Miss Universe duties.

AOL Latino: What have you accumulated in your yearlong reign? What have you concluded?
Ximena Navarrete: "It has been a great opportunity – a blessing – and a privilege to represent women, Miss Universe, my country, knowing, learning, to have a voice. In every place at which you arrive, the band and Miss Universe crown always opens doors, and people want to listen to you. What I enjoyed most was having the opportunity to speak, to say something good and help different people."

AOL Latino: In what aspect do you feel you have grown most this year?
Ximena Navarrete: "I think that overall I have matured a lot, living alone and away from family, from what's yours, makes you mature. I am a more capable, assured and mature woman, with many more tools and knowledge. I love to travel and experience new cultures, and it was a great opportunity to have had to do that."

AOL Latino: We guess you have contacted Karin Ontiveros, Mexico's candidate for Miss Universe 2011?
Ximena Navarrete: "Yes. I have known her for a long time, and she is ready to compete."

AOL Latino: Have you given her any advice?
Ximena Navarrete: "To enjoy the experience and leave everything up to God, because she is ready and beautiful. Now, all that is left is that dear God puts forth things in the manner in which they are meant to happen."

AOL Latino: Do you feel she is at an advantage or disadvantage now that all eyes will be on Mexico?
Ximena Navarrete: "All the women have the same opportunity. All the Latina women fare quite well in the Miss Universe pageant. They are already winners, but all of them have the same opportunity."

AOL Latino: And what do they offer "tapatío" women from Guadalajara? Why are they now being recognized for their beauty?
Ximena Navarrete: "It is something we have heard a lot in Mexico, but I think in all of the Republic of Mexico there are beautiful women, and that you can find beauty everywhere, but I am not sure. They [Guadalajara women] are en vogue."

AOL Latino: If you had to relive the whole Miss Universe experience, what would you change?
Ximena Navarrete: "I would not change anything. Everything that has happened has made me the person I am now. I would not change anything, absolutely nothing. Everything has happened as it was meant to."

AOL Latino: Do you know what you will be doing once you hand over the crown? What is your next project?
Ximena Navarrete: "We shall see. I just signed on to Mr. Trump's agency here in New York, after which I will be modeling for them. I am very happy. I have a pair of projects lined up in Mexico and I am about to make a decision on those."

AOL Latino: Does that mean that you will be living in New York for the time being?
Ximena Navarrete: "I will be travelling quite a bit to New York, but it is not clear exactly. I will return to Mexico in October."

AOL Latino: Are you interested in acting, film, telenovelas (Spanish soaps)?
Ximena Navarrete: "That will be a surprise."

AOL Latino: What advice do you have for the women who participate in this dream come true?
Ximena Navarrete: "To try this. You can never be content with the mere wanting. When there is something you want to do, all that is left is to do it. Everything is attainable through work and determination."

AOL Latino: How is your relationship with Lupita Jones?
Ximena Navarrete: "We have a very good relationship. I have received the same level of preparation as the previous contestants. I think it is a question of luck, because all of us are prepared, and all have been beautiful. We get along very well."

AOL Latino: What do you think are some of the stronger attributes that Mexican Miss Universe candidates possess?
Ximena Navarrete: "It is the joy that Mexican women and Latinas in general bring. The desire to want to do things right. It is something that is innate. It is a color Latinas bring to the catwalk that is very special."

AOL Latino: Just days away from handing over your crown, what are you feeling? Nervous? Nostalgic?
Ximena Navarrete: "A little bit of nostalgia. A little bit of sadness, but at the same time I am very happy to return to my country to be with my family and be a bit less stressed – to have a little bit more peace in my life."

AOL Latino: Is your boyfriend the happiest person to see you pass on the crown?
Ximena Navarrete: "Many people will be happy that I am returning."

Source Rafael Abreu


0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More